Bucket Challenge: Experiencing new dancing steps and the philosophy behind!
(Ending Sunday 8th April 2012)
Whether you have two left feet or perfect left and right feet, this week we invite you to explore and try new dancing steps and the cultures embedded within the dance. You may take a one-time only dancing lesson or enroll a short-term program; it is entirely your call! The spirit is to challenge ourselves to (a) learn some new dancing moves; (b) to experience the emotions and techniques of the new dance chosen; and to (c) understand, as well as to appreciate the essences and the sophistication of the new dance.
“It’s only when you start to swift around your feet, you may start to feel the lightness of life.”
~ Author Unknown
There are so many different categories of dances which you may choose one or two to give it a try. For examples :
1. Concert or performance dances like Acro dance, Ballet, Contemporary dance, Flamenco, Modern dance, Contact improvisation, Tap dance…etc.
2. Street dances, Hip-hop & Funk dances, Punk dances, House dances and Rave dances.
3. Traditional Jazz / African-American vernacular dance like Boogie-woogie, Moonwalk, Swing.
4. Passionate Latin dances like Mambo, Rumba, Bolero,Samba (ballroom or Brazilian or Gafieira styles), Jive, Reggaeton, Salsa, Argentine tango, Cha Cha and so on.
5. Historical/Classical dances: Medieval dance, Renaissance dance, Masque, English country dance, Baroque dance, Regency dance and Vintage dance
6. Exotic dances: Bollywood dance, Belly dance and Pole dance…etc.
7. Group dances: Line dance, Folk festival dance.
8. Sacred dances: Ghost dance, Ecstatic dance.
If you have already tried quite a few type of dances and mastered in them, why not try something completely new?! If you just start exploring, then keep on exploring. We are here together to explore and encourage each other! If you are still just thinking about exploring, a word of encouragement, just take actions and go ahead to give a try! There is nothing to lose, but only to gain. To gain insight on one’s own abilities to learn and to adapt to a new skill which requires body co-ordination, leading and be-led qualities, compromising with different partners, as well as enriching and cultivating one’s emotions, aesthetic sophistication.
I had tried belly dancing once before. To my horror surprise, I learnt the fact that some of the body parts could move individually, i.e. moving the bum without moving the waist, right hip and left hip may be rotated in and outwards separately, abdominal muscles may be divided into four quadrants and each may be moving one after another, what is even more crazy is that the left and right breasts may shake at the different time!! See Sadie Belly Dance 2008, Sadie Belly Dance 1. I tried and found it very interestingly funny and technical. It has made me realize that there are so many muscles which I have, but not using or exploring them at all. What will I be, if I get to use them all?
With different dancing styles, certainly there are different abstract outfits, i.e. emotions, gestures, attitudes and so on, attaching to the dance. For more graceful dances, gestures will be more sophisticated, smooth and elegant; for more passionate dances, a tint of sexual and seduction are inevitable; for street dances and contemporary dances, spontaneity and sense of free spirit are the major traits. Not to mention, for religious worship sacred dances, sincerity, holiness is heavily portrayed.
So, joining us this week challenge and exploring a new dancing experience and find out what is in the dance for you!!
|Challenge:||Try out a new dance moves|
|Select a new dance which will challenge your ability|
|Try out the new dance with your partner or friend|
|To explore and find the emotions within|
|Time required:||1 hour or more (encourage to do at least 4 lessons x 1 hour)|
|Energy level:||Low to High|
|Preparation:||Just enjoy and have fun!! Be open-minded.|
* Currently we are learning Tango as a couple together. So far, it has been quite a challenge for both of us! Not just on self-exploration, but also as a couple! We learn more about each other and how we need to work together as a team. This is definitely a nice exercise for a couple to get to know each other. Try it out yourselves!!
* Encourage and support us by sharing this post with your friends or clicking “LIKE” if you like our post:)