Book review on:
29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life
By Cami Walker
Personal Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Description for the book: inspiring, encouraging, empathetic, giving
Why did I choose to read this book?
Tell me, who does not like gifts? I was first attracted by the title, “29 Gifts” and then by the story of how misfortune happened on a health individual (could have been on anyone of us), how she went through her battle with sickness and the road of recovery by giving to others. Her spirit enrolled me. Her life started to change when she started to shift her focus from pitying herself to giving others. Positive changes started to happen as she focuses out! It’s not a concept or theory, but a real life story which impacts on others and lives of millions.
What did I learnt or was inspired by from reading?
There are few ideas or statements I would vouch for in this book: (translation may lead to slight differences in understanding)
- “I will give passionately.” If we give, out of obligation or unwilling heart, this will only create negative energy which no one appreciates or benefits from.
- When we open our hearts to give, we receive ‘humbleness’ in return.
- While learning how to give, at the same time, is learning how to receive.
- Faith + Giving + Gratitude = Abundance
- When one is indulging oneself in self-center (self-ego), one becomes small, self-focused and lonely
- one tends to neglect that self is a part of a bigger universal picture to fulfill the needs of human race.
What will I start doing differently from now?
I checked out and joined the 29 Gifts Organisation, Changing Life One Gift At A Time. There are many good initiatives which require our participation and actions to make this world a better place; to remind us showing our appreciation and gratitude to others, i.e. our families, friends, colleagues and strangers, as well as to ourselves.
I like the idea or the concept of ‘Giving‘ and ‘Receiving’; even more, I like experiencing and living through them. This is what makes us human and feel we are living our LIVES!!
Joining Cami 🙂 to promote this GIVING activity! Join us for our weekly challenge: Giving 7 Gifts Away